“My child is really struggling to learn to read. How is this possible when we know she is gifted?” This is a question that comes up from so many parents who are homeschooling a gifted child who struggles with reading. In this episode, we talk specifically about giftedness and dyslexia with Marianne Sunderland from Homeschooling With Dyslexia.
It’s the nature of homeschooling a child with twice-exceptionalities. They are so capable and so smart in one area, and struggle mightily in another.
Academic Asynchrony Is Typical For Gifted Children
Academic asynchrony is quite typical for gifted children, and yet it can be difficult to know how to best help.
For example, one of my children, clearly gifted, clearly twice exceptional, has struggled with learning to read. Her brilliance only exacerbated the problem. She knew she should be able to do it. She knew everyone else (even her younger sibling) could do it.
It caused a significant amount of frustration and anxiety, which only made it more difficult for her to focus on reading.
Gifted Children And Dyslexia: The Reality Of Twice Exceptional Kids
The reality is, reading difficulties and dyslexia often accompany giftedness. Marianne shares the various accommodations we can provide for gifted children, who have the ability to progress, but need assistance in some areas in order to do so.
This is where assistive technology and supports come in.
Using a math chart to help with math facts is not cheating. Neither is using a speech to text app to help them write at a level appropriate for their interests and gifted abilities.
We meet them where they are and use accommodations simply as part of the curriculum and learning.
Raising Lifelong Learners Episode #132: Homeschooling A Gifted Child Who Struggles With Reading
This is the second episode in our series with Marianne Sunderland, from Homeschooling With Dyslexia. Today, we are specially discussing gifted children and dyslexia. This conversation includes testing, using assistive technology, and most importantly, encouragement that you are the best person to help your child succeed in learning and in life!
Links and Resources From Today’s Show
- SPONSOR: Homeschool Science Tools – Use CODE RLL30 for 30% off your first Science Unlocked Kit (offer valid through 8/31/21)
- SPONSOR: The Anxiety Toolkit
- Marianne’s Site: Homeschooling With Dyslexia
- No More School: Meeting The Education Needs Of Children With Dyslexia And Language-Based Learning Difficulties
- How And When To Get Tested For Dyslexia
- Beyond The Box Learning
- Overcoming Writing Obstacles: Step by Step
- AlexaSchooling | Using the Amazon Echo for Homeschooling
- How To Teach Dyslexic Kids Using Assistive Technology
- Dyslexia 101 – Marianne Sunderland
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really does help — and it’s easy!
- Click THIS link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Want to record your own question, comment, or have your kids tell us what they LOVE to learn about? Click below and start recording!