I think we would all say that we want to embrace the child we have been given and lean into all that makes them wonderful and unique. The problem is that we tend to get in the way with our own ideas and expectations of how we think parenthood and childhood should be.
How Do We Let Go Of Our Own Expectations As Parents?
I love in this episode when Denaye says that we have been idealizing how our kids will be since before they were conceived! How true.
I thought my child would be super sporty. He had other plans.
Another mom I know anticipated a creative, gifted artist, but her daughter won’t even pick up a paint brush.
It’s difficult, but the truth is, if we are going to authentically accept and embrace our children as they are, we have to let go of our own expectations. Letting go of our ideals allow us to really help our kids grow and develop in ways that work best for their unique make-up.
Authentically Accepting Our Kids As They Are (not how we want them to be)
Meeting our children where they are means leaning into their strengths and their differences, It means allowing them to be who they are, not who we want them to be.
In this episode, we speak frankly about the struggle, but more importantly, how we can practically do this in our homes.
The Gift Of Accepting Our Quirky Kids As They Are: A conversation with Denaye Barahona, Ph.D.
Please, let me introduce you to Denaye Barahona, Ph.D.
I have a personal and professional passion for helping women thrive in motherhood. My Ph.D. is in Child Development. I am also a Clinical Social Worker with a specialty in Child and Family Practice. I followed that up with a Post-Grad Certificate in Behavior Analysis of Children. I have spent much of my career working with parents who deal with challenging behavior in children–whether it be eating, sleeping, screaming, cussing or hitting.
I can’t wait for you to hear her practical advice and overall thoughts on raising quirky kids (and lifelong learners!).
Links and Resources from Today’s Show:
- Sponsor: Royal Fireworks Press
- Michael Clay Thompson Gifted Curriculum
- Royal Fireworks Online Learning Community
- Denaye Barahona – Simple Families
- Denaye’s Podcast and Blog
- Denaye’s Book: Simple Happy Parenting
- Raising Resilient Sons by Colleen D. Kessler
- Parenting Gifted Kids
- Simplicity Parenting
- Overexcitabilities and Why They Matter for Gifted Kids
- The Learner’s Lab | A Raising Lifelong Learners Community for Gifted / 2E families
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really does help — and it’s easy!
- Click THIS link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Want to record your own question, comment, or have your kids tell us what they LOVE to learn about? Click below and start recording!