If you are homeschooling a gifted or twice exceptional child, it probably looks a lot different than you expected. Today, Colleen is sharing 5 Things You Need To Know About Homeschooling Gifted Kids. This a a real life, honest look at what it is really like!
5 Things You Need To Know About Homeschooling Gifted Kids
Looking back over my twelve years (and still counting!) of homeschooling gifted and twice exceptional children, there are the top five things I think you really need to know.
I explain in much more detail each of these five points in the podcast episode itself, but here is a brief overview.
1. Your Homeschool Curriculum Is A Tool
Curriculum is a guide. It is not the boss of you!
2. Surround Your Children With Books
Library books. Audiobooks. No matter what kind, surround your kids with books.
Focus on the habit of reading. You will not regret it!
3. You Don’t Have To Finish Everything With Your Gifted Child
It really is ok to skip a chapter in the math book if you know your child already knows the information. I also encourage you to slow down and maybe not finish the history book, if your child is fascinated by one particular chapter. Either way, move at your child’s pace and don’t feel the pressure to “finish”.
4. Homeschooling Is Not Just About Academics
Homeschooling is a lifestyle. Our kids are more than the subjects in a typical school year and often, gifted children are prone to anxiety. This means that homeschooling for them, can and should be far more than academics. It’s about relationship and emotional support and development. It’s about living life well together.
5. Find A Community That “Gets” Your Child
Whether it’s a local group or online, finding your people is so important. Just having another mom who doesn’t think twice about your child’s quirks can be a lifesaver!
If you don’t have a local support option, here are a few of the online ones I whole heartedly recommend.
Raising Lifelong Learners Podcast Episode 137: 5 Things You Need To Know About Homeschooling Gifted Kids
If you are homeschooling a gifted or twice exceptional child, it probably looks different than you expected. Today, Colleen is sharing 5 Things You Need To Know About Homeschooling Gifted Kids. This a a real life, honest look at what it is really like!
Links and Resources from Today’s Show:
- SPONSOR: CTC Math
- The Learner’s Lab, a Raising Lifelong Learners community created just for your quirky family!
- The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Gifted Children
- Homeschooling Gifted Children | Meeting Asynchronous Abilities
- Homeschooling Gifted Kids: What it’s Really Like
- RLL 16: Homeschooling Gifted Kids on a Budget | A Listener Question
- Knowing Your Gifted Child
- The Best Advice I Can Give You: Become A Student Of Your Child
- Raising Poppies
- Homeschooling Poppies
- The Learner’s Lab
- Raising Lifelong Learners on Instagram
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really does help — and it’s easy!
- Click THIS link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Want to record your own question, comment, or have your kids tell us what they LOVE to learn about? Click below and start recording!