- Time spent in nature and increased levels of fitness is linked to higher cognitive function.
- Outdoor play and time spent exploring nature encourages creativity and imagination.
- Kids tend to be more active outside than in, so their fitness levels improve — which can be a sneaky way of getting kiddos who would rather be building LEGO or coding to pull themselves away from a sedentary life.
- Time outside in nature can help moods, alleviate depression, and quell anxiety. People just feel better when they’re outside.
- Being outside can also increase attention spans because things move at a slower pace in nature.
- There are health benefits, too. Being outside increases vitamin D levels, thus lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease, increasing bone strength, boosting the immune system, and helping to reduce inflammation.
I’ll admit that it’s been especially hard getting the kids (and myself!) outside as the days have shortened and dusk has come darker and earlier, but it’s so important and these boxes are helping to motivate us.
Over the next few weeks, I’ll continue to share our adventures with the first several of our Think Outside Boxes subscription themes, but I urge to think about adding a subscription to your own family’s holiday list. I adore giving subscriptions for the holidays because they tick off several things at once:
1. A great gift idea.
2. A gift that continues to give throughout the year.
3. A gift that can double up and “count” for some of your homeschooling. And don’t forget that Think Outside Boxes has a $10 off offer for Raising Lifelong Learners reaaders if you use the code RLL10 when you check out on their site.
Let me know what other ways you encourage your kids to get outside and soak up all those mental and physical health benefits. Share in the comments or on social media tagging #RaisingLifelongLearners and #ThinkOutside.
Latest posts by Colleen Kessler
- Great Resources for Curious & Creative Homeschoolers - November 30, 2019
- Cultivating Creative Thinking - November 22, 2019
- Great Gifts for Fortnite Fans - November 19, 2019