In this very special episode of The Raising Lifelong Learners Podcast, Colleen is joined by her son and recent homeschool graduate, Trevor Kessler. It is a candid look back at more than a decade of learning together, including how Trevor really feels about being homeschooled. If you are a homeschool parent, this is an episode you do not want to miss!
A Homeschool Graduate Looks Back On More Than A Decade Of Learning At Home
What becomes clear in speaking to this homeschool graduate, is just how much homeschooling has allowed him to pursue his own interests and strengths. As a creative person, Trevor describes himself as “less academically driven.”
However, his creatively and giftedness were able to take center stage in his learning as a direct result of homeschooling.
“Academically driven” is not the only way giftedness presents in children, and he is a classic example.
The Importance Of Mastery And Gifted Children
A perfect example of how homeschooling supports giftedness, is how Trevor describes the desire to “get really good at something and then move onto something else.”
For gifted and twice exceptional children, this is an important element of how learning and development unfolds.
There is a need to master the topic while, for creatively gifted kiddos in particular, there is also a need to keep things novel. This ebb and flow fuels learning, although it proceeds in a less linear and at times, chaotic fashion.
The result however, for Trevor, is a passion for film, photography, special effects. Already, his mastery of these topics have led to job opportunities and professional growth.
Related: RLL Episode #40 Self-Directed Homeschooling High School with Trevor Kessler
RLL Episode 122: A Special Conversation With Homeschool Graduate, Trevor Kessler
I’ve barely scratched the surface of all the insights in this episode. This conversation is truly something special. Colleen and Trevor both reflect on their years learning together, and the result is a wonderful encouragement for homeschooling parents!
Links and Resources from Today’s Show:
- SPONSOR: CTC Math
- Trevor’s Last Episode On The Podcast: Self-Directed Homeschooling High School with Trevor Kessler
- The Learner’s Lab, a Raising Lifelong Learners community created just for your quirky family!
- Raising Resilient Sons: A Boy Mom’s Guide to Building a Strong, Confident, and Emotionally Intelligent Family by Colleen D. Kessler
- Knowing Your Gifted Child
- Homeschooling High School Isn’t Something To Fear
- Mr. D Math
- Is Identifying Your Child As Gifted Important?
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really does help — and it’s easy!
- Click THIS link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Want to record your own question, comment, or have your kids tell us what they LOVE to learn about? Click below and start recording!