Research shows that when we encourage our learners to pursue their interests and utilize their strengths in their learning, we can also see gains in areas that they aren’t as strong in. Colleen dives a little deeper into understanding what strength based learning is and how there are simple, practical steps we can take to nurture our kids’ strengths.
With ideas on how to accomplish this from the beginning and even how it could look as your kiddos get older, she discusses specific resources that can help us with parenting in general and homeschooling specifically from a strengths based perspective.
Links and Resources from Today’s Show:
- Sponsor: Waldock Way — Waldock’s Wizards and Wands Use the code RLL10 for 10% off!
- Raising Resilient Sons by Colleen Kessler (releases on November 24, 2020)
- Strength Based Homeschooling: Your Guide To Creating A Strength Based Learning Plan by Shawna Wingert
- Everything You Need to Get Started with Strength Based Learning (especially for RLL readers) by Shawna Wingert
- Different by Design Learning website (Shawna Wingert)
- Strengths Based Parenting: Developing Your Children’s Innate Talents by Mary Reckmeyer Ph.D.
- The Strength Switch: How The New Science of Strength-Based Parenting Can Help Your Child and Your Teen to Flourish by Lea Waters
- Parenting Bright Kids Who Struggle in School: A Strength-Based Approach to Helping Your Child Thrive and Succeed by Dewey Rosetti
- Gallup Popular CliftonStrengths Assessments
- Gallup CliftonStrengths for Students
- Gallup Clifton StrengthsExplorer (for children aged 10-14)
- Emotional Intelligence (blog hop) Hoagie’s Gifted Education Page
- (2 Pack) Pocket Notebook Small Hardcover Note Book 3″ x 5″, Mini Ruled Lined Journal, Leather Cover, Black
- A Novel Journal: Little Women Diary
- Classic Hardcover Notebook, Dotted, Large (5.5″ x 8″) Bloom
- Minimalism Art, Classic Notebook Journal, A5 Size 5 X 8.3 inches, Blue
- 201 Questions to Ask Your Kids: 201 Questions to Ask Your Parents
- Table Talk Conversation Cards
- Kid Talk: Conversation Cards for the Entire Family (Tabletalk Conversation Cards)
- My Little Poppies’ Coffee and Books (Cait’s blog)
- Kids Rainy Day Indoor Scavenger Hunt by Patty Hevly
- Sesame Street Elmo Plush Puppet 14″
- Real-Life Science Mysteries Book by Colleen Kessler
- Hands-On Ecology by Colleen Kessler
- Science for Smart Kids: Electricity and Magnetism eBook by Colleen Kessler
- 100 Backyard Activities That Are the Dirtiest, Coolest, Creepy-Crawliest Ever
- Raising Creative Kids: A Collection of Simple Creativity Prompts for Children
- A Project Guide to Electricity and Magnetism (Physical Science Projects for Kids) by Colleen Kessler
- A Project Guide to Reptiles and Birds (Life Science Projects for Kids) by Colleen Kessler
- RLL Podcast #30 Andrew Peterson: Being Students of Our Children
- RLL Podcast #40: Self-Directed Homeschooling High School with Trevor Kessler
- 100 Reasons Eclectic Homeschooling Works for Gifted Kids.
- The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Gifted Children
- Why Should You Homeschool Your Gifted Children?
- A Crash Course for Homeschooling THAT Kid (a Raising Lifelong Learners Learn-At-Home Workshop)
- Raising Lifelong Learners on Instagram
- Raising Lifelong Learners on Facebook
- Raising Lifelong Learners on Pinterest
- Contact Colleen
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really does help — and it’s easy!
- Click THIS link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Want to record your own question, comment, or have your kids tell us what they LOVE to learn about? Click below and start recording!