Parenting our neurodiverse kiddos, whether gifted or twice-exceptional kiddos (including autistic and ADHD), is just plain different. Typical parenting books and practices won’t always work when we’re trying to find ways to help our children become the very best people they can be. Parenting them takes intentionality and a different kind of parenting mindset.
Today, Colleen speaks with Penny Williams of Parenting ADHD and Autism about how we really need to be okay with who our neurodiverse kiddos are and learn how to celebrate their differences. This is a terrific conversation to glean wisdom from two parents who have faced struggles that are common in parenting atypical kids.
Links and Resources from Today’s Show:
- Sponsor: The Learner’s Lab (the Raising Lifelong Learners membership community created just for your quirky, out-of-the-box family!)
- Parenting ADHD and Autism, Penny Williams’ website
- The Behavior Revolution
- Stop Battling with Your Child & Create Calm
- Parenting ADHD podcast
- Start Here at Parenting ADHD and Autism
- What to Expect When Parenting Children with ADHD by Penny Williams
- Boy Without Instructions by Penny Williams
- The Hidden Layers of ADHD by Penny Williams
- The Insider’s Guide to ADHD: Adults with ADHD Reveal the Secret to Parenting Kids with ADHD by Penny Williams
- Videos on Parenting for ADHD/Autism
- Parenting ADHD & Autism on Facebook (community support group)
- Parenting Summits at The Behavior Revolution
- Parenting and Teaching a Twice-Exceptional Child
- Homeschooling Twice-Exceptional Kids
- Navigating Social and Emotional Needs of Gifted Children
- What is Emotional Intelligence?
- Add Emotional Education to Your Homeschool
- Games to Help Improve Your Kid’s Emotional Intelligence
- RLL #88: Social and Emotional Needs of Gifted Kids with Jim Delisle
- RLL #65: [AUDIOBLOG] Navigating Social and Emotional Needs of Gifted Kids
- RLL #89: Helping Our Gifted Kids with Social and Emotional Struggles
- Resiliency Resources
- PAP 015: Behavior is Just a Symptom (Parenting ADHD Podcast with Penny Williams)
- PAP 071: Why Punishing Your Kids is Bad Parenting (Parenting ADHD Podcast with Penny Williams)
- PAP 075: Why Behavior Isn’t “BAD” with Holly Moses, BCBA, LPA, LPC (Parenting ADHD Podcast with Penny Williams)
- The Explosive Child by Ross Greene, PhD
- Raising Human Beings by Ross Greene, PhD
- The polyvagal theory: New insights into adaptive reactions of the autonomic nervous system by Stephen W. Porges, PhD
- The autonomic nervous system (from Brittanica.com)
- Make Social and Emotional Learning Stick!: Practical Activities to Help Your Child Manage Emotions, Navigate Social Situations & Reduce Anxiety by Elizabeth Sautter
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really does help — and it’s easy!
- Click THIS link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Want to record your own question, comment, or have your kids tell us what they LOVE to learn about? Click below and start recording!