Here at Raising Lifelong Learners, we are very much concerned with promoting the social and emotional needs of gifted and twice exceptional children. Research shows that resiliency, adaptability, accepting rejection, and “bouncing back” from failure are some of the critical skills necessary for having a successful life. They are also vital skills for being a successful entrepreneur!
Today, Colleen speaks with Brian Weisfeld, girls’ entrepreneurship advocate and author of The Start Up Squad, about how encouraging an entrepreneurial mindset can be a key component to helping all kids, boys included, to develop these important life skills, follow their passions, and reach their full potential even beyond kids starting their own businesses.
Links and Resources from Today’s Show:
- Sponsor: The Learner’s Lab (the Raising Lifelong Learners membership community created just for your quirky, out-of-the-box family!)
- The Start-Up Squad website
- The Start-Up Squad on Instagram
- The Start-Up Squad on Facebook
- The Start-up Squad series by Brian Weisfeld
- Girls Mean Business (girl CEOs)
- Girls Mean Business blog (activities for girlpreneurs)
- Resources for parents and teachers to help kids who want to be an entrepreneur
- RLL listeners: send an email with your address to firstname.lastname@example.org for an autographed book plate and cool book swag for The Start-up Squad !
- Writing Children’s Books for Dummies by Lisa Rojany Buccieri
- Brian Weisfeld TedX, “Kindling Inspiration from my daughters, Girl Scout Cookies, and Fairy Books”
- What Does It Mean to Be an Entrepreneur? by Rana DiOrio
- Spanx founder Sara Blakely learned an important lesson about failure from her dad (Business Week)
- 14 People Who Failed Before Becoming Famous (Business Week)
- Raising Resilient Sons: A Boy Mom’s Guide to Building a Strong, Confident, and Emotionally Intelligent Family by Colleen Kessler
- RLL #71: Resiliency and Why Our Kids Need It
- RLL #93: 7 Tips and Strategies for Boosting Emotional Resilience in Your Kids
- RLL #55: Helpng Your Child Manage Perfectionism
- RLL #81: [Audioblog] Managing Perfectionism: 10 Tips for Helping Your Child
- RLL #52: Overcoming Perfectionism and Finding Joy in Homeschooling
- RLL #68: Self-Directed Education with Peter Gray, PhD
- RLL #40: Self-Directed Homeschooling High School with Trevor Kessler
- RLL #92: Building Self and Setting Goals with Suki Wessling
- Click here to leave a review on the Itunes podcast page! (Click on View, then Ratings and Review under the podcast name)
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really does help — and it’s easy!
- Click THIS link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Want to record your own question, comment, or have your kids tell us what they LOVE to learn about? Click below and start recording!